What happens if I am not mentioned in my partner’s will?

A: On their death, you could be forced to move out of your home if it is registered only in their name. Even if it is in joint names, you may end up having to sell your home if their share does not automatically pass to you and they have not given you a life interest in the property. You may have to make a formal claim against your partner’s estate to get financial assistance – such as maintenance and somewhere to live. To avoid these difficulties, it is advisable to discuss the arrangements with your partner and seek the advice of a solicitor.