Can I claim maintenance from my partner?

A: Not for yourself – even if you were dependent upon them. If you are the main carer of any children from the relationship, you would normally be entitled to maintenance for the child(ren) whilst the child is aged under 18 and/or in full-time education. If the amount to be paid cannot be agreed, you will need to ask the CMS (Child Maintenance Service) to make an assessment